Honley Male Voice Choir general committee meeting 6/4/18 – Minutes
Present. R Wild [Chair], G Smith, C Roberts, S Roberts, M Lewis, P Kirkpatrick, J Shaw, R Wade,
The chair welcomed all those present.
1. Apologies C Davies, M Bray.
2. The minutes of the last meeting 19th February 2018 were circulated prior to the meeting.
3. Matters arising.
M Lewis advised that the website review was in progress, R Wade said we need to be clear on what we want on the site and how it should look. S Roberts said the site information needs updating. - Ongoing.
M Bray had been in contact with the Carlton Main band and the account for the Christmas 2018 concert paid.
M Lewis has had a copy of the Insurance certificate.
P Kirkpatrick has had the Friends concert tickets.
G Smith advised the Carlton Main band has confirmed for the Christmas concert 8th December 2018.
The HMRC Gift Aid listing is ongoing and the chair advised that it needs to be completed ASAP, as we may lose money if it isn’t. S Roberts said his other choirs were an option for advice – M Bray & Chris Roberts to progress
G Smith advised we have an invitation from the Mayor to a drinks event as a thanks for the contribution the choir has made during the Mayors year in office. It is 10th May 2018 1900 at the Town Hall, [name badge to be worn]. R Wild to progress.
G Smith advised of the feedback from the LG concert by other choirs, our MD and other parties.
G Smith advised he is in communication with Pontarddulais MVC with regards to accommodation.
G Smith read out a letter of thanks from the Mayor for the invite to the LG concert.
P Kirkpatrick supplied a letter from a retiring “Friend” of the choir with a £50 cheque.
M Bray not present but supplied a written report. Current balance at 31st March 2018 £15548.54p.
S Roberts asked if we could have written detail of profit and loss on previous concerts to aid planning fiancé for future events. M Bray to progress.
M Lewis asked if he can be copied into expenditure items to enable his comparison on events- M Bray to initiate
The current estimate on the LG concert profit is £2243.25p.
He gave an update on the Waverley House contract and it was agreed he should submit a revised contract to the storage facility managers. – M Bray.
C Robert asked how many CD’s we sell, J Shaw advised “very few” and we have reduced the price to £5.
6. Music Directors report.
S Roberts noted the choir sang well on his return to rehearsals and R Wade noted that Cathy had done well and rose to the challenge whilst he was away.
He asked if we still want to utilise Michelle as the relief conductor. – Remitted to the music subcommittee.
He asked what was the choirs’ policy on returning members and was advised there isn’t one. Following a discussion it was agreed R Wild will draft a policy for the committee’s consideration and G Smith will review membership payments and 100 club payments for anyone returning to the choir.
7. Concert Secretaries report.
M Lewis supplied a written report.
He noted some discrepancies ref. the LG concert profit due to the difference in the way choir tickets are costed by the Town Hall Box Office and the actual amount the choir collects.
It was agreed that the cost of the marketing manager M Jose should be allocated to the choir budget and not any of the concerts she publicised.
It was agreed that the choir donate £100 to the Lindley choir for their contribution to the LG concert – M Bray to arrange.
C Roberts asked if the keyboard was sorted for transport to the Friends concert - yes. He advised that we have poor ticket sales for the concert due to the lack of timely publicity and it will make a loss.
P Kirkpatrick agreed to take over ticket sales for the Friend’s concert and the Christmas concert 8th December.
M Lewis advised he and R Wild are going to a meeting for The Concert on the Hill event 7th July on the 12th April with Colne valley choir. R Wild advised we will be singing separately for the 1st half and jointly for the second half.
S Roberts advised he has done some research on celebrity concert options for the future and identified “Collabro” a boy band as a possible option for 2020 – Remitted to the music subcommittee for consideration.
There was a discussion ref. the 2018 Christmas concert 8th December and G Smith advised the Carlton Main band is confirmed. Paul Whitaker the signer is confirmed and G Smith will contact George Marsden re playing the organ. R Wild stressed that we need to be getting up to speed with the publicity planning and we need someone to be taking charge of events and projects. It was noted that C Davies is coordinating social media and we need to define the concert format. – R Wild & M Lewis to meet Publicity team.
A meeting is needed with the Honley Civic Society ref. the “peace concert” 19-21st July 2019 to discuss operational and organisational matters for clarification. Benefit to the choir will be via ticket sales share. - M Lewis and R Wild are to meet with Carol Baxter
M Lewis advised that we need to book the Town Hall for future events for 2020-2021, as we presently only have provisional bookings up to 2019. Following a discussion it was agreed we should book the second Saturday in December for Christmas Concerts and a date in May in liaison with S Roberts and the Town Hall depending on their respective availability. - To be discussed at the music subcommittee 16th April.
8. Marketing and publicity.
There was a discussion about extending the contract of M Jose who has coordinated the marketing of three concerts since September 2017. S Roberts asked if she had been offered continuation. M Lewis advised that she had been asked but after much discussion, she felt we needed someone local to do it. She had recognised that it is a difficult job and that if she had continued with the contract, it would have needed to be under a revised financial arrangement. She does have a lot of information on her computer and M Lewis will ensure it is copied for future reference. – M Lewis to expedite.
It was agreed the choir should write to her thanking her for her contribution - G Smith.
R Wade noted that we had new potential recruits Simon Shepherd and Marshall Ashby and advised he is rewriting some of the guidance for issue to new members and recruitment literature. M Lewis advised he and R Wild had attended a choir’s conference in Peterborough and it was stressed that any advertising must stress the positive benefits of singing in a choir in all promotional material. He is asking for the PowerPoint material and will forward to R Wade. – M Lewis
He said he has spoken to M Jose and there had been some free advertising for January/February but no spend as yet. He advised that he has £600 of his budget left and asked for guidance on his future budget. - Ongoing & Committee to advise.
It was agreed that the colour of the background within the choir logo for future choir promotional material will be blue as original and not green. – M Lewis to pass the new artwork to R Wade
10. Friends report.
P Kirkpatrick supplied a written report.
There was a discussion about the number of free tickets we give to life members and their partners/widows and it was agreed to stay with the current unwritten policy for now. – R Wild to clarify and issue policy in writing.
P Kirkpatrick stressed that the numbers of friends changed each day as information arrived to him.
C Roberts asked how friends of the choir are recruited and R Wild said that this was achieved by applying and paying for tickets in advance for the annual Christmas concert, they became a Friend of HMVC.
It was agreed that if no Christmas Concert tickets were purchased by a Friend for 2 years, they would be removed from the list.
It was agreed the 2019 Friend’s concert will be Saturday 13th April - Venue to be reviewed by Music Sub-committee
It was noted that the list of Patrons in the LG concert programme was incorrect. - The list will be updated by P Kirkpatrick.
11. Data protection.
G Smith provided a draft revised membership form aimed at meeting the criteria of the new EU regulations. Following a discussion it was agreed he and M Lewis will meet to amend and issue a further draft. – G Smith & M Lewis to generate
12. Any other business.
M Lewis produced a booklet of poems that have been written by a choir member and asked if the choir would support and approve it to be sold with the association to the choir, as the choir member had produced it to support the choir by raising funds. The booklet was approved, but it was noticed that certain corrections needed to be made. - C Roberts to proof read.
R Wild asked if he could confirm the Christmas lunch 2018 with Meltham Golf Club as 24th November – agreed. R Wild to action.
R Wild advised that Vernon Briggs has submitted his resignation due to mobility issues. There was a discussion re. offering members wishing to resign from actively singing with the choir, a non singing life membership to maintain an ongoing contact with the choir. - R Wild to draft a policy proposal.
The Chair advised he will not be standing for re-election as Chairman at the AGM, 29th May.
2 members are to be presented with 80th birthday gifts at the next rehearsal. – M Lewis
Meeting ended 22:35.
Date of next meeting 7:30pm Monday 14th May 2018, Honley Conservative Club